Once known as the fruit basket of Nelson, the region still produces pip fruit and berries, but fine olive oils, sheep’s milk cheeses, delicious chutneys and pickles and European pastries are now to the fore. Plus there’s a whole range of dining out options that are part of a very sophisticated café scene catering to locals and visitors.
Some not to be missed experiences include:
- Fish and chips on the Mapua Wharf
- A vineyard picnic assembled from roadside stalls
- Fresh fruit icecream
- Smoked fish from the Mapua Wharf on fresh ciabatta from the local bakery
- A lunchtime pinto gris and a platter in a vineyard garden
- Fresh berries and cream for an afternoon picnic in a country churchyard.